Registration now open for 2018 Families in the Creek!
Families in the Creek is a family event and is free to the public. You will be able to learn about the creek’s aquatic life and what you can to do to help keep our community’s creeks clean through three activities.
Fish Assessment: With the help of professional biologists, you will collect and identify live fish. The type and number of fish tell a story about the health of the creek.
- Benthic Macroinvertebrate Assessment: Benthic macroinvertebrates are mostly comprised of larval forms of insects found on the bottom of the creeks. With the guidance of professionals, you will collect and sort these interesting creatures. As with the fish, the type and number of benthics indicate stream health.
- Stewardship Activities: What we do on our land – whether it be work, live, or play- affects the health of our creeks. This rotation demonstrates that fun, hands-on activities!
How to Register
- Age Limits: Limited to 26 participants ages 9 and up. Children MUST be accompanied by an adult during the event.
- To Register: Contact Kellie at the UT-TN Water Resources Research Center at email@example.com or 865-974-2151. All participants must pre-register
- First-Time Participation Priority: Families who have not participated in this event will be given first priority. If your family has participated, you will be placed on a waiting list and if there are openings at the registration deadline, you will be contacted to determine if you are still interested in participating.
- Registration Deadline: Monday, June 4th at end of business day or until slots are full
- Location: Beaver Creek (Specifics to be determined and updated soon!)
- Free lunch will be provided. If you have any special dietary needs, please bring a bag lunch.
- Waders will be provided but bring old shoes you don’t mind getting wet and muddy that can go over the wader booties.
- Please plan on staying for the entire event. We are limiting the number of participants and we want everyone to reap the full benefits of this experience.